Launch of Healthy Schools London
The Healthy Schools London programme was launched at the GLA (City Hall) on Thursday 25 April 2013. A wide range of speakers discussed the importance of Healthy Schools for London schools. Speakers included:
- Cllr Victoria Borwick, Deputy Mayor of London
- Amanda Ursell, Nutritionist, writer and journalist
- Casey Stoney, London 2012 Team GB, Captain England Women’s Football Team
- Helen Jenner, Director of Children’s Services, Barking & Dagenham
- Liz Dickson, Head Teacher St Peter’s London Docks Primary School, Tower Hamlets
Delegates inlcuded professionals from education and health representing the 33 London Boroughs and representatives of organsations that work with schools and children and young people.
At the launch event, we were delighted to award the first 8 London schools to achieve the Healthy Schools London Bronze Award. These schools are from the 2 Boroughs that helped to test the Healthy Schools London model: Croydon and Tower Hamlets. The schools are:
Parish Church C E Junior School, Croydon
Aerodrome Primary School, Croydon
Woodcote High School, Croydon
St James the Great RC Primary and Nursery School, Croydon
Registrations and applications welcome from all London schools
The Healthy Schools London website is now open to all London schools. All schools can register on the site and apply for 3 levels of Awards: Bronze, Silver and Gold. We currently have 190 schools registered and 55 schools that have achieved a Bronze Award.